Prior to our seven year-old son being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes , we knew nothing about the disease, knew nothing about the pancreas and insulin, knew nothing about counting carbohydrates in food, and knew nothing about the daily struggle that thousands of children and parents go through to manage their lives with Type 1.
By no means have we become experts, but we are learning fast. Our son’s immediate and future health depends on it.
We hope to use this site to not only share our own experience, thoughts and learnings, but to hopefully spur on ideas and stories from all of you. We sincerely hope this becomes an interactive dialogue with others around the world that are in our same position – caring for a child with Type 1 diabetes.
The site will be constantly growing as we grow. We’ve organized it into a handful of subsections:
- About: This is where we’ll tell our story. But we’d love to hear yours as well. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment letting us know your experience. We’ll post it here.
- Eating: It is fundamental to the proper management of Type 1. Eating is already a challenge with kids but with Type 1 it becomes a daily focal point. We’ll share recipes and ideas to help.
- Learning: There is the crash course that you need to take yourself through right when your child is diagnosed, but there is also the life-long pursuit of understanding what is happening to find a cure for this disease.
- Living: Life will and does go on. But this is a life-altering disease and with children there are a number of changes that will need to be made in their daily routine.
- Reviewing: Diabetes can also be big business. This will be an area for everyone to share their reviews of various products used to help manage diabetes.
We hope that you find this site useful and contribute your own thoughts. There is no cure for Type 1 diabetes and it is a disease that can drastically alter you and your child’s daily life. However with a positive attitude and the help of all of us, we will succeed.
Please Note: Type1parent.com is not run by physicians nor has the information provided on this site been endorsed by any professional medical community. You should always seek the advice of your own physician when it comes to the treatment of diseases and daily health.